Synod Council meets regularly three to four times during
the year with special meetings held, often by
teleconference, as need. The Synod Council is chaired by
the vice president. The membership of the Synod Council
includes the four officers of the synod and twelve voting
members from around the synod, representing a balance of
clergy and laity, geographical distribution, and age. Click here for the roster of
the Synod Council and its committees.
Consultation of 3 November 2023
The Synod Council, convened Friday evening, 3 November
2023, with pastors and [vice] presidents of all but on of
the congregations of the Eastern Panhandle Cluster of the
Potomac Conference present. An invitation was issued to
all the pastors of the Potomac Conference and the
congregational [vice] presidents of the congregations of
the Potomac Conference to participate in a consultation.
Five guiding questions were included as part of the
- What is happening in your congregation that makes you
happy, excited, proud, hopeful, etc.?
- What challenges, anxieties, fears, etc. are your
- How are things going with the Potomac Conference (or
Eastern Panhandle Cluster) and in intercongregational
relationships and work?
- What do you think our disposition toward Caroline
Furnace be? What do you need to know to address this
- Where do you see synodical and Churchwide expressions
fitting into all this?
Summary of Actions, 3-4 November 2023
Synod Council, meeting on 3-4 November 2023, took the
- To appoint to the Nominating Committee The Rev. Ruth
Bullwinkle, Chair (MVMC), The Rev. Sean Smith (UOVC),
Lois Gray (UOVC), Rick Losh (PC), The Rev. Tom Darr
(OKVC), The Rev. Daniel Collins (PC), Cindy Murphy
(MVMC), and Rachel Gensler Hall (OKVC), the Executive
Committee being empowered to make any vacancy appoints
if needed prior to the next regular meeting of the Synod
- To reappoint The Rev. Jonothan "Jono" Adams, The Rev.
Jason Felici, and Nancy Weeks to the Board of Directors
of the Lutheran Campus Foundation for a term of three
- To reimburse The Rev. Matthew Riegel for payments made
to Portico for Gold+ coverage in CY2024 on a monthly
basis by separate check, accounting the reimbursements
to health insurance.
- To grant extension of the Community Lutheran Partners,
Inc., fundraising appeal in the synod through the end of
- To direct the bishop to query the congregations of the
Eastern Panhandle regarding the synod's status as a
constituent synod of Caroline Furnace.
Roster Management Actions
- To renew on leave from call status on the roster of
ministers of Word & Sacrament for The Rev. Michael
- To reschedule the next regular Synod Council meeting,
originally scheduled for 24 February 2024, for 16 March